[ale] OT: Firewall purchase

David Hamm ale at spinnerdog.com
Sun Jul 4 23:39:02 EDT 2004

Are you suggesting that a power blink will cause the firewall to replace it's
remote access password with a default/HARDCODED password?

> Both of those have known security issues.
Last time I looked the only security issue with NetGear's FVS318 had to do
with a buffer overflow on the remote access login.  The overflow would cause
a reboot of the unit and no other side effects.  A rule that only permits
access from a couple of specific known hosts reduces exposure to this.  If
you have a link with more info please pass it along.

> Neither support VPN connections directly.
Huh?  I just put a VPN together a couple months ago with a pair of FVS318s.
It also worked two years ago when I tested the ability of the FVS318 to
connect to a Nortel 1510.  We could make the connection but the two units
couldn't negotiate a routing protocal.

> All of the off-the-shelf firewall devices are generic boxes that are
> cookie cutter rule sets for a limited set of protection scenarios. The
> ability to ssh into the firewall and adjust as needed is absolutely
> priceless.
Yes, I like ssh and IPtables too but this isn't a problem for that solution.