[ale] OT: Win98 + Infections

BruceG griffisb at bellsouth.net
Sun Jul 4 22:11:43 EDT 2004

On Sunday 04 July 2004 18:56, Christopher Fowler wrote:
> Everytime I come to my parents house I have to clean crap off their
> win98 machine.  All of it is adware. I'm using a D-Link firewall and
> I do not think a firewall will solve this problem since most of
> this mess comes through port 80.  Is there a way?
>
> One solution is to have 2 machines.  One for Win98 for their windows
> stuff that is not connected to the internet.  The other running Linux
> for browsing and such.  Or dual-boot may work?

Dual-boot would work. If their Internet is via DSL or Cable, Knoppix would
work (I do that with my W2K laptop - boot from Knoppix CD before letting
anyone touch it). Or - Lavasoft Adaware (or something like that) would work
as well, and is free. For a Win98 machine, a decent software firewall,
anti-virus software, and spy removal tool make things a little better.