[ale] Firewall discussion...hardware horsepower?

Stephan Uphoff ups at tree.com
Sun Jul 4 20:50:18 EDT 2004

Chris Woodfield wrote:
> As an adjunct to the firewall discussion, I'm looking at upgrading
> mine...I'm currently running a Via EDEN 500 based box which does strict
> packet filtering and connection tracking fine, but starts to have
> issues when I turn on any sort of packet logging and/or IDS.

What are your issues with logging/IDS?
What Ethernet card(s) are you using and what are you using
it for (internal/external) ?
Any shared interrupts / interrupt routing issues?
What is your bandwidth?
Can you send the dmesg?

Just curious - I would have thought a Via EDEN 500 would be
more than enough - even with some logging.

Thanks
	Stephan