[ale] Cheap PC in Peachtree City/Fayetteville

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Sun Jul 4 13:56:32 EDT 2004

After doing a quick check at PCUSA, I decided to set him up with one of
my older office PCs (850MHZ Athlon, 30 GBdrive and 256MB DDR RAM
w/200MHZ front side bus).  I can replace the older box so cheaply that
I'll just give it to him for the cost of a MOBO, processor and case, and
put that toward a newer office pc.

Thanks for the info.  I appreciate the input.

-jt

On Saturday 03 July 2004 13:16, Geoffrey wrote:
>James Taylor wrote:
>>Did I mention, cheap?
>>
>>His current PC is an eMachines 333MHZ box.   Probably a 1Gb Athlon
with
>>30ish GB drive  and 256-512MB ram.  CDROM, etc.... I don't need a
>>keyboard , mouse, monitor, modem or video card.
>
>Not very close to you, but Prime will set you up with a duron 1600 with

>40gig drive, 256mb ram, cdrom, around $300.  You can step down the
>processor to 1200 duron and all else about the same for about $250.
>
>They also had some used Piii 600mhz for around $100, but I'd rather go
>with the new hardware.
>
>They've got another location, but I think it's on the east side of
town.

The used PIII's are Dell Optiplex (small case). I tried one with SuSE
9.0 and
Knoppix (Debian Testing/Unstable). Right now it's running the Knoppix
flavor
of Debian installed to the hard-drive. Works fine for. But it was closer
130 or so(?). Might have been smarter to go the little extra and get a
1200
duron.

Ale mailing list
Ale at ale.org