[ale] Good perl book for an absolute script beginner.

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sun Jul 4 09:03:27 EDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-07-04 at 03:34, Rene Rasmussen wrote:

> > Ben
> Thanks for the tip.
> I have looked at quite a few of the books now and focused my attention on two of them:
> "Learning perl (3rd ed)" and "Programming perl (3rd ed)".
>
> Anyone have any experience with these two? Especially, do I need both or is it enough to use "Programming perl (3rd ed)"?

"Learning Perl" is the default beginners book. It will get the beginning
programmer functional in the language with a wide exposure to the
syntax, rules and structure.

"Programming Perl" is a much more advanced book that expects a
fundamental programming viewpoint to be already known.

Both are highly recommended. Start with "Learning Perl" and when you
can't find what you want to know in it, get the "Programming Perl" book.

If you want some ideas on how to solve particular problems, get the "The
Perl Cookbook".

And if you figure out how to get that machine used to wipe memory in
"Paycheck" to record and reinsert memories instead, call Fletch  :)

Until then, just shovel all your money at OReilly. The perl books from
OReilly are considered to be the gold standard.