[ale] What is krefilld?

Danny Cox danscox at mindspring.com
Thu Jul 1 17:50:08 EDT 2004

Matt,

On Wed, 2004-06-30 at 14:03, Matt Smith wrote:
> I'm seeing a lot of processor time spent on the krefilld process, but am
> having a very hard time determining what it does.  I haven't been able
> to find much information about it.  Here's what I'm looking for.
>
> --What it does
>
> --What would cause it to run a lot
>
> --Kernel parameters/etc that can be used to adjust how/what/when it does
> whatever it does :)
>
> Of course, ANY info is appreciated!

	It's a kernel process.  You can tell because ps and top both say it
takes no memory at all (SIZE, RSS, and SHARE are all zero).  Another
hint is it's low process number (12, in the examples I've seen).

	It seems to be RedHat specific, and none of the generic kernels trees I
have reference it.

	The process before it is 'kreclaimd' and the one after is 'kupdated',
(again in the examples Google turned up) so these may have to do with
the file cache system.

	Sorry I can't come up with anything more....

Danny