[ale] An Indian perspective on Indian outsourcing

BruceG griffisb at bellsouth.net
Sat Jan 31 05:55:25 EST 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-30 at 08:26, Vaidhy Mayilrangam wrote:
> I have kept away from the outsourcing threads till now..
>
> As a person who worked in US and then moved back to India, I consider
> myself having a fair idea as to how the market is on both sides.
>
> I have seen people complaining about how elite they are, how much they
> invested in their programming careers and all of it is now gone. 99% of
> what gets outsourced is either a maintenance project or YABS (Yet
> Another Billing System). IMHO, these do not require any great skill,
> simply grunt work.

I have to agree with you here. I might be missing the picture, but some
of the things I would think are pretty much what you talked about:
customer management, account rep, pre-sales, on-site support (someone
HAS to be hands, eyes and ears). I'd also think specialized skills can
come into play.

And to go in the other direction: if a person did not want to work for a
large company, there is also support for the small business market. Once
again - someone has to be able to go into a customers office and do
network and LAN support.

For me, my goal this year is to either get a CCNP to do the hands-on
stuff (urgh, no!!!) or pick up a CCDP to offer pre-sales network design
support. In my area, I would expect growth (meaning jobs) in VoIP,
network security, and moving from SNMP management to layer 3 management.
The hard part is to pick one and excel in it.

Of course, if I'm unemployed a few months from now, I either guessed
wrong or guessed late. Either comes out to the same result.
Bruce