[ale] Indian outsourcing

Eichler, Paula J. pja0 at cdc.gov
Fri Jan 30 16:50:36 EST 2004

"So you're saying that if you can't stay in the IT industry and earn a
similar wage you're just going to lay down and *die*?"

Of course not.  If I lost my job there are a few things that I have on the back burner to do.  All I am saying is that we are blythely telling people to place their education and career in the dumper and take what they can get cause they work cheep in India.  No concern for the lack of leadership we are getting from our elected representatives.  No attempt to keep our people employed productively as more jobs find their way outside the US.  We can't just do each other's nails and hair.

" You *can* "be whatever you set your mind to be", but no one *guarantees*
you'll be able to make living doing it. No one has a right to a job,
only the right to compete for a job without being discriminated against
based on sex, race or religion."

Of course that's a semantic argument.  You have to make a living in America.  The point is, if American society only values "the market", than we are lying to our kids when we tell them that they can be whatever they want to be while letting jobs go overseas.  Not every kid born is destined to great things.  Some people will barely survive while others live in NY penthouse apartments.  Efforts to level the playing field have not been effective for whatever reason.

We are also lying to ourselves when we call this a great and prosperous nation while not caring if there are enough good jobs for people.

I used to think this way.  "Just find another job if the plant closes; move town if you have to."  I was na?ve at best.  All but low-end service industry jobs that have to be done onsite will be exported eventually ..pj