[ale] Indian outsourcing

Andrew Newton andy at hxr.us
Thu Jan 29 14:29:15 EST 2004

Stephen Touset wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-01-29 at 12:52, Cleon wrote:
>
>>It's incredibly easy to justify or support people losing their jobs
>>when you haven't lost yours.
>

> Last I checked, I haven't been able to get a decent IT job either. Why
> do you think I have so much time to write entries in my blog?

Do you have dependents or a mortgage riding on that paycheck?  Have you
spent 10, 15, or 20 years refining your craft?  Once you are heavily
invested, this is not a academic paper on labor and trade practices, but
an honest-to-God, real-life, bank-repossessing, heart-ache and despair
situation.

I do not advocate protectionist policies and certainly think the Indians
are just as entitled to compete for those jobs as we are, but if the
answer is "Suck it up, it's a dog-eat-dog world out there" then we might
as well drop ALL pretenses of civility and regress to might-makes-right
rules.

And "free-trade" is for corporate shills trying to bleed every penny out
of a "human resource."  It should be about "fair trade".  After all,
this lowers prices, but does it seem right to you?

-andy