[ale] Linux on laptops

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Jan 28 08:45:20 EST 2004

Sigmascape1 at cs.com wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Just a quick question. What Linux distribution would you guys suggest
> if I wanted to replace WinXP Home on my Sony Vaio laptop? My laptop
> is about 1.5 years old, 1 GHz Athlon, 20 Gig drive.

I've got a Sony Vaio running both Red Hat 7.3 and SuSE 9.0.  I purchased
it from http://www.emperorlinux.com/

Yours is a bit earlier model, thus I can't really comment on how well it
would work.  I have self installed Linux on various laptops and for the
most part been very successful.  Minor issues like an internal winmodem
and such.

Certainly check out the linux on laptops website pertaining to Sony devices:

http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/sony.html

> Also, are there
> sites that can tell me how to replace WinXP effectively? It is a
> newbie-type question, but I have little experience in replacing
> WinXP. I have found that replaces Win98 to be very easy, but never
> have dealt with removing XP.

Simply going through the Linux install will handle that for you.  My
favorite question from the SuSE install:

Remove existing windows?

It's as simple as that.  I generally send my condolences to Bill Gates
at the death of another of his own...