[ale] Re: OT It begins...

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Tue Jan 27 16:59:12 EST 2004

On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 02:34:15PM -0500, Jim Popovitch wrote:

> > Any of the archives at http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/ .
>
> Hah!  I only made 2 click and found 4 email addresses.  Do you seriously
> think MARC is protected from harvesting?  Come on now.

No, of course not.  All I said was that the examples I gave obfuscated
the from address.  Were the 4 email addresses you found unobfuscated and
in the From: header?

> I contend that a few of the people discussing this issue have no idea
> what they are proposing and/or trying to prevent.   Don't make me break
> out my credentials on this issue. ;)

Agreed.  Trying to obfuscate or strip out every email addy in an archive
is certainly nontrivial but also not the right thing to do, IMHO.  As I
said before, message bodies should be archived as-is.  Simple
obfuscation of the from header is reasonable though, and apparently easy
to setup in mailman (default?).

Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9