[ale]OT It begins...

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 27 15:49:30 EST 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-27 at 14:54, ChangingLINKS.com wrote:

> Jim, start talking server-side solutions here. . . . anyone?

There are no known single server-side solutions, simply because the spam
isn't coming from a server under ALE's control.  The answer lies
somewhere in the chain of servers/devices that lead ultimately to the
client's system.  The email addresses may be coming from one or more
archives (or a harvesting agent subscribed to ale) but the spam is going
to everyone's individual/ISP/company mailserver not back through
ale.org.  Each of those servers needs a spam solution.  I use Yahoo! to
filter (purify?) my inbound email.  Earthlink offers a very good
solution too, I especially like their spamBlocker(r).  I've heard that
spamassassin is good as well.  There are several other solutions (winXX,
Linux, MacOS, etc) for those that run their own email systems.  I
personally think that larger entities (Yahoo!, ELink, ATT, AOL, etc)
have a better chance of being effective than a smaller system which sees
less overall email traffic and spam.

-Jim P.