[ale] Coupla RedHat/KDE warts

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Tue Jan 27 14:47:23 EST 2004

On Tuesday 27 January 2004 12:22 pm, John Mills wrote:
> ALErs -
>
> I'm running KDE on RedHat-7.3 and would like to turn off two settings
> (locally or globally).
>
>  1. I don't want the CD to autorun when loaded (usually brings up a file
>     manager),

I never did find a good solution for this.  The one I use is to rm
/usr/bin/autorun and just kill the whole thing before it starts.  This is not
a "good" solution because it will get undone any time that package updates.
But it is quick and easy.

>  and
>  2. I want to disable the automatic inquiry whether to open something
>     with a web browser - or at least learn how to clear it's little
>     memory. (Once I've selected a text area that KDE thinks _might_ be a
>     web site, it offers to open _some_ @#$%!! location just about every
>     time I click the mouse!!)

I'm not sure quite what you are seeing, but I bet it has something to do with
klipper.  Thats the little clipboard icon with a K on it in the kicker panel,
usually at the bottom of your screen.  Right-click klipper and deselect
"enable actions" and maybe they symtoms will go away.

Michael