[ale] Can't get my CDRW drive to burn :-(

Trey Sizemore trey at fastmail.fm
Fri Jan 23 20:04:55 EST 2004

Having some issues with burning CDs with my SUSE 9.0 install.  I'm using
the k3b (0.10.3) and tried cdbakeoven as well.  Getting error messages
like those seen below.  I've checked the md5 sum
for the iso file and it's good, the CD-RW drive is recognized and I've
tried burning as both a normal user and root (to see if it made a
difference...it didn't :-( )  Had Mandrake 9.0 installed before this and
had no problems with any of the GUI burners.

Here's my /etc/fstab:

/dev/hde2            /                    reiserfs
defaults              1 1
/dev/hde1            /boot                ext2
defaults              1 2
/dev/hde3            /home                reiserfs
defaults              1 2
/dev/hde4            swap                 swap
pri=42                0 0
devpts               /dev/pts             devpts
mode=0620,gid=5       0 0
proc                 /proc                proc
defaults              0 0
usbdevfs             /proc/bus/usb        usbdevfs
noauto                0 0
/dev/sda4            /media/zip           auto
noauto,user           0 0
/dev/cdrecorder      /media/cdrecorder    auto
ro,noauto,user,exec   0 0
/dev/cdrom           /media/cdrom         auto
ro,noauto,user,exec   0 0
/dev/fd0             /media/floppy        auto
noauto,user,sync      0 0
/dev/sda4 /media/sda4 auto sync,noauto,user,exec 0 0 #HOTPLUG
B3Fu.lMyX_ErKxt6

Here's the error I'm getting...this time it was using cdrecord from the
command line:

Waiting for reader process to fill input buffer ... input buffer ready.
BURN-Free is ON.
Turning BURN-Free off
Performing OPC...
Starting new track at sector: 0
Track 01:    0 of  544 MB written.cdrecord: Input/output error.
write_g1: scsi sendcmd: no error
CDB:  2A 00 00 00 00 1F 00 00 1F 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 71 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 21 02 00 00
Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, deferred error, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x21 Qual 0x02 (invalid address for write) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 0.001s timeout 40s

write track data: error after 63488 bytes
cdrecord: The current problem looks like a buffer underrun.
cdrecord: Try to use 'driveropts=burnfree'.
cdrecord: Make sure that you are root, enable DMA and check your HW/OS
set up.
Writing  time:   17.019s
Average write speed 711.6x.
Fixating...
cdrecord: Input/output error. close track/session: scsi sendcmd: no
error
CDB:  5B 00 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 72 03 00 00
Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x72 Qual 0x03 (session fixation error - incomplete track in
session) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 0.000s timeout 480s
cmd finished after 0.000s timeout 480s
cdrecord: Cannot fixate disk.
Fixating time:    0.002s
cdrecord: fifo had 65 puts and 2 gets.
cdrecord: fifo was 0 times empty and 1 times full, min fill was 98%.

I tried enabling DMA on the CDRW drive (although I've never had to do
this before, like when I used Mandrake).  Still no go.  The drive is a
BTC 1610IM and does not support burnfree.  Currently it starts to burn
before the error (or appears to be) but the rate is _very_ slow even if
I've set it to 6X or 10X.  It typically fails pretty quick after that.

Some other relevant output that may help:

trey at linux:~> ls -al /dev/sr0
brw-------    1 trey     disk      11,   0 2003-10-02 16:45 /dev/sr0

trey at linux:~> ls -al /usr/bin/cdrecord
-rws--x--x    1 root     root       334872 2003-09-24 21:24
/usr/bin/cdrecord

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to provide as much info as I
could.  Let me know if there's any other information or system data I
can provide.  I'm anxious to get the burner working on SUSE 9.0.

Thanks.

--
Cheers,
Trey

There is an innocence in admiration;
it is found in those to whom it has not yet occurred
that they, too, might be admired some day.
- Friedrich Nietzsche