[ale] FreeBSD and Debian

Dylan Northrup docx at io.com
Thu Jan 22 22:25:43 EST 2004

A long time ago, (22.01.04), in a galaxy far, far away, Greg wrote:

:=I have now installed Debian on my SunBlade and have been reveling in the
:=richness of apt-get and aptitude heaven, but I just found out how easy it is
:=to upgrade FreeBSD and now am having second thoughts, as it seems that
:=FreeBSD has more apps and they are more current also, as well as possibly
:=having more experience with 64 bit Sun arches.
:=
:=So, does anyone on the list have any FreeBSD/Debian experience ?  ( I have
:=read some stuff on the Web, but I would like input if possible from this
:=list).

I prefer FreeBSD because I like the idea of re-compiling packages (ports)
from source instead of downloading and installing binaries (which never
seems to work properly for me).  In addition, I like the fact I can boot my
boxes from two floppies and, with a reliable network connection, have a
fully installed box inside of a few hours (including config and download
time) including re-compiling a customer kernel and doing a reboot (though
I've gotten pretty good at the last step, so it takes me less time than it
used to :-)

I haven't tried FreeBSD on platforms other than x86, so your mileage may not
be what mine was, but I'd suggest trying FreeBSD.  It's got great
documentation, it's a solid system and it's got a wealth of applications you
can install must by going to the right directory under /usr/ports and typing
'make install'.

--
Dylan Northrup <*> docx at io.com <*> http://www.io.com/~docx/
"Harder to work, harder to strive, hard to be glad to be alive, but it's