[ale] USB->IDE problems

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Wed Jan 21 21:38:08 EST 2004

I would like to write log data to an external thumb drive.  If the user
unplugs it to read it then I need to be able to stop writing.  When they
plug it back in I start writing data again.  I do not intend on
buffering data until they plug back in.  If it does not exist then the
data would not be written.

I've rewrote much of the hotplug code in C because the hotplug stuff
that is on kernel.org and in RH is written in bash.  I can not really do
IPC with bash.

I can have hotplug start up the streamers when it is plugged in.  Then
the streamers will be terminated when it is unplugged.  It is also
possible that the streamers could always be running.  They would not
carry file descriptors around for the log files on the flash.  They
would open(), write(), close().  Then go into a select() loop waiting on
data to write to flash.