[ale] OT: VOIP Service

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Sun Jan 18 20:54:19 EST 2004

You gave me an awesome idea.  Next month I'll be traveling around the
country installing network management equipment in data centers.  The
problem is that in these DC's I usually do not have cell phone capability
but I do have IP.

Packet8 has a small ATA.  I could also get one of those small hip phones
with headphones or even a 2.4ghz small cordless and in these DC's I'll have
VOIP access. It will also give me free phone and long distance in my hotel.
I usually stay at only hotels with high speed access.  I use linux on the
laptop and can just carry a usb->ether adapter for the VOIP setup.  Usually
me and my travel partner share the high speed by me turning my laptop into
a WiFi AP and I provide him a USB adapter for Winbloze XP.  Works great. And
we get VPN access back to the office using VTUN.

Chris