[ale] X servers other than Xfree

Steven A. DuChene linux-clusters at mindspring.com
Sun Jan 18 20:11:14 EST 2004

On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 07:57:01PM -0500, Geoffrey wrote:
> Kevin Krumwiede wrote:
> > On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 20:10:55 -0500
> > Geoffrey <esoteric at 3times25.net> wrote:
> >

> >>We had a short discussion regarding X servers at the meeting last
> >>night.
> >>  Noted some concern regarding the disbanding of the Xfree86 core
> >>  team.
> >

> > I forget where I read this discussion, here or slashdot... but
> > basically, the main reason the "core team" disbanded is that they
> > realized they weren't actually producing anything or influencing the
> > project anymore.  It's likely that very little, if anything, will change
> > as a result of their decision.
>
> Agreed, but then I don't see it as a positive either, as you've noted,
> they weren't accomplishing anything.

Actually the above is not the complete story. In reality David Dawes the
head of the XFree86 orginaization went on a meglomanic power trip and
removed anyone from the core team who ever questioned any of his actions.
Once the "core team" got down to only a few people it is difficult to
make progress on a project the size of XFree86.
Steven A. DuChene     linux-clusters at mindspring.com
                      sduchene at mindspring.com