[ale] Atapi cdrecord?

Stuffed Crust pizza at shaftnet.org
Mon Jan 12 10:31:27 EST 2004

On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 09:54:30AM -0500, Dow Hurst wrote:
> Are you running 2.6 then and using an ATAPI interface to
> burn with?  Or, are you poking fun at my email, which
> probably deserves it as I don't know squat about the SCSI
> code except from what I've read about it? ;-)

Yes to the first question.  *grin*

The Linux SCSI code isn't taht bad, acutally -- there's some cruft,
yes, but thanks to the BIO rewrite it's a lot better than it used to be.

The SCSI/IDE debate recently has most recently been kicked off over the
SATA stuff -- to properly support it, the IDE core would have to support
things like hotplug and TCQ and whatnot, stuff which the SCSI layer has
had supported quite reliably for some time now.

Jeff Garzik's libata SATA driver hooks into the SCSI subsystem for this
express purpose.   I dn't know where it's all heading in the long-term.

Personally, I'd be just happy with all mass storage devices showing up
as "SCSI" devices.  it really doesn't matter from an application
perspective what it apepars as -- but it's better to have one unified
userland API (ie SCSI) than two (IDE and SCSI) to access devices.

 - Pizza
--
Solomon Peachy                                   pizza at f*cktheusers.org
                                                           ICQ #1318444