[ale] SMB options

Joe Sechman jsechman at bellsouth.net
Sun Jan 11 11:42:11 EST 2004

SSH is the way to go...I use a chroot'd jail environment for upload and
only permit RSA PKI authentication for secure copy (SCP) upload.  Since
most of our users are mere mortals, I advise WinSCP as the winX client
software (not sure if there's a GNU equivalent), but the savvys usually
use the SCP command line tools.  Admittedly, it's a bit of
administrative overhead, but at least I get some shuteye :0)  This is
also good because the savvys have a dummy login shell with only the
commands necessary for file transfer (cp, rm, mkdir, mv, etc.....but NO
su).  Here are some references:

Jailchroot project
http://www.jmcresearch.com/projects/jail/

WinSCP
http://winscp.sourceforge.net/eng/

and my favorite book of all time (SSH Definitive Guide):
http://www.bookpool.com/.x/odr44xorc0/sm/0596000111

-Cheers,
Joe Sechman