[ale] Radio-frequency identification (RFID) chips

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sat Jan 10 16:13:32 EST 2004

On Sat, 2004-01-10 at 15:39, Mike Panetta wrote:
> Speaking as an amateur radio enthusiast (KG4TTU is my call sign)
> the FCC would frown upon that action greatly.  Microwaving the things
> or sending out a low power short range field might be acceptable, assuming
> it does not interfere with anything outside your yard or house, but obliterating
> all forms of radio for 2 miles is an arrestable offense and I would highly suggest
> not doing it, especially given the current climate of terrorism that we are in.

I would agree entirely!! I made this discover many (many) years ago and
was rewarded for my efforts by a brief and polite visit from the FCC. As
I was only 16 and the use of the coils was not an intentional effort to
jam the RF band (it was a power supply component for an X-ray machine I
was building), I was given a list of references for shielding and a
stern order to not use it again with out shielding. I was happy to
comply. Especially since that process gave me access to another entire
level of equipment to play with as I took my modified system over to the
FCC guys to get their approval before I cranked up the system again. The
RF shielding was good but I could really screw up a tv picture with the
magnetic field from about 40'!

You are absolutely correct that cranking up this type of equipment now
might result in jail time given the current national mentality on
security.

A much better use would be to wrap the entire mess, except for one end
of the soft iron core in "mu metal". This will both shield the RF and
the attenuate the magnetic field. "mu metal" may be a brand name. It is
an alloy I used in UHV systems to block the earths magnetic field for
sensitive experiments. A layer about 3x the thickness of heavy Al foil
would completely block the 0.5 Gauss field of the Earth. The open end
allows the intense magnetic pulse to escape. A mu metal cone can help as
a directional element. The effect on large bass speakers should be
permanent. This might help silence some cars that have had their back
seats replaced. :)