[ale] changing recipient of daily system status emails....

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed Jan 7 22:35:43 EST 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 18:11, Jonathan Glass wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 17:52, Keith Morris wrote:
> > Hi all.
> >
> > Sorry, but here is another newbie question.  I am running Fedora Core 1
> > and by default it sends daily system status emails the local mail spool
> > of 'root'.  I was wondering a couple of things...
> >
> > 1. What process is actually sending the email? is it a cron job, system
> > service, or what? (00-logwatch???)
> >
> > and
> >
> > 2. How does one change the recipient of the email so that it goes to my
> > internet email address (as this is a remote server and I would like to
> > receive the emails at home).  I found the $Config{'mailto'}="root"; in
> > 00-logwatch cron job, but when I changed it to to my email address
> > (escaping the \@) the script ran, but I didn't receive any email....
> >
> > Thanks for your help.
> >
> > Keith Morris

> Well, you found the program.  Logwatch will send you a daily report.  It
> is pretty handy at times, and annoying the rest of the time.
>
> Assuming Sendmail:
> In /etc/aliases (may be /etc/mail/aliases) look for the line that says
> #root: marc
> Uncomment the line, and change "marc" to your address.  Save and run
> "newaliases".
>
> Postfix:  I have no clue (yet).

/etc/postfix/aliases  do the edit and run
postmap aliases

There may be more. I don't have a postfix machine open right now.

A better solution is to set the MailTo line the logwatch cron job. On
most RedHat bxes, edit /etc/log.d/logwatch.conf and change the "MailTo =
" line.
http://www.localnetsolutions.com

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>