[ale] Comcast linux...

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Wed Jan 7 08:56:11 EST 2004

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 11:51:50PM -0500, Byron A Jeff wrote:

> It's dhcpcd (as alluded to above). And dhcpcd caches the previous address.
> I'm not sure why it didn't do a broadcast after the NAK, but killing the
> cache solved the problem.

	Opppsss.  Missed that rather obvious hint.  :-)

	My preference if for dhcpcd and I've never had that problem.  In
fact, the reason I prefer dhcpcd was after pump kept screwing up on
Media1 / ATT / ComCast.  Dhcpcd fixed the problems with lease renewals
(no change) and new leases (new addresses).  Never had to delete the cache
to get it to work.  Really strange you ran into that.

> > 	My experience with the tech was when the guy came to the house with
> > the cable modem (which I purchased rather than leased) and walked down into
> > my basement and came face to face with my rack in my NOC...  I told him he was
> > connecting to the mini tower on the top of the rack on the left.  He asked,
> > "What does it run, Linux?"  I said "Correct."  He said "I don't think we
> > support Linux."  My reply was "Good.  I support Linux.  You support giving
> > me a network connection.  Just call these numbers (the MAC addresses) in."
> > He did and was amaze when it all simply poped up and worked perfect, first
> > shot, when I typed the ifup command.  Repeat a second time a few months
> > later at my son's digs.

> Many will walk out though given the scenario above. Also they have a browser
> based registration now, which is better than waiting 45 minutes on the phone
> for the MAC addresses to be provisioned, like one tech I had.

	I've heard that said but I've never run into one, myself, that has.
And Scott and I have never picked any bones with them that our end is Linux.