[ale] ? about Debian pks held back in upgrade

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Sat Jan 3 15:11:31 EST 2004

On Sat, Jan 03, 2004 at 02:17:24PM -0500, Jim Seymour wrote:
> I think I've read this one before but can't remember the answer.  When
> you do a "apt-get update" and then your "apt-get upgrade" you
> sometimes see several packages marked as "kept back".  I think these are
> packages that are broken.  Is that correct?  Also if that is the case

No, they're not broken, but their dependencies have changed such that
APT cannot upgrade them without your help.  To see why a particular
package has been kept back, just apt-get install the package in
question.  APT will probably complain about a new dependency that must
be installed, or conflicting dependencies, but it's usually not a big
deal to fix.

Alternatively, you could try "apt-get -u dist-upgrade", which will do a
more intelligent and "deeper" dependency resolution.

HTH,
Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9