[ale] how to create user with no password

Danny Cox danscox at mindspring.com
Sun Feb 29 17:11:48 EST 2004

All,

On Fri, 2004-02-27 at 15:29, James P. Kinney III wrote:
> > 	Actually, this is dangerous.  It starts a shell, which begins to parse
> > /bin/false and if you can catch it between the time it starts, and when
> > it exits with an interrupt, the shell will happily give you a prompt!

> I think you are correct in this. /bin/false _used_ to be a special "null
> shell" replacement. In RedHat it exists and and does load a bash shell
> to run from.

	I stand (sit) corrected in some cases ;-).

	Okay, sometimes, it IS a shell script, and sometimes it's not.  In any
case let's be careful out there.

	On a humorous note, I used strings on a Fedora Core 1 /bin/false, and I
saw the help text.  On a lark, I tried: "false --version", and got
"false (GNU coreutils) 5.0".  My first thought was, "it took you five
major revisions to get this correct?"  Of course, the 5.0 is probably
referring to the coreutils overall, not 'false' itself.  Still....

Danny