[ale] DHCP and M$

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Wed Feb 25 13:45:23 EST 2004

On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 01:08:17PM -0500, James Kinney wrote:
> > One suggestion, if the DHCP server can't be fixed, is to put the
> > ipconfig /releasee and ipconfig /renew commands in a .bat file that the
> > users can run. Label it "double click me to connect to network" or
> > something.
> >
> > Mike
> >

> The .bat file was a solution until I ran into people that could not be
> given super-user status on the laptop.  The secondary DHCP server is a
> Linux box not under my jurisdiction. And both networks are 192.168.1.0/24
> which doesn't help. The big problem is that the gateway is different for
> each network.

Can't you set a policy that executes a batch file when the user logs in?
I'm not a windows admin, so that's just a SWAG.

The most obvious solution is to change one of the networks, so that
individual IPs won't be valid on both, but I'm guessing that's not a
viable option :)  Would it be possible to use different ranges on each
network?  IOW, network1 serves DHCP addresses in the range 192.168.1.100
- 192.168.1.150, while network2 serves addresses from 192.168.1.175 -
192.168.1.225.  That would at least force a renew whenever the laptops
switch networks.

Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9