[ale] [OT]FreeBSD Resources

Bjorn Dittmer-Roche bjorn at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Wed Feb 25 09:12:33 EST 2004

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Geoffrey wrote:

> Bjorn Dittmer-Roche wrote:
> > On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, John Wells wrote:

> >>So, out of curiosity and for the sake of discussion, what exactly
> >>comprises that 1%?
> >

> > Moreover, what makes Linux better than FreeBSD in the 99% (linux
> > evangelism aside)?
>
> His statement did not say Linux was better, it said BSD has no
> advantages, that doesn't necessarily indicate one is better than the
> other, but rather, there is no difference.

His entire response was this:

If Bob really believed that they were the same 99% of the time, I don't
think he would have said "Why?" in immediate response to the suggestion of
using something other than Linux. I don't want to put words in his mouth
-- only he can tell us what he meant -- but, intended or not, I think the
implication is there that Linux is better than FreeBSD. As a fan of both
OSes, I'd just like to know more about possible advantages and
disadvantages in case, for example, I'm ever installing a firewall.

	bjorn