[ale] Personal e-mail setup for remote access

Mike Murphy mike at tyderia.net
Wed Feb 25 02:03:26 EST 2004

Procmail. Most distros come with it installed, and often with the
tie-ins to your mta already in place (for instance, it just works with
sendmail on fedora core 1). Try grepping postfix's config file(s) for
"procmail" to see if its already "activated" (I assume you have to have
a rule in postfix like sendmail, but I'm not that familiar with
postfix). It will process mail destined for your inbox. Rules are pretty
easy once you get the hang of things. Google for procmail tutorial or
procmail recipes for a number of good guides to its use, however, here's
an abridged version of my .procmailrc:

SHELL=/bin/sh
MAILDIR=${HOME}/mail
DATE=`/bin/date %s`
LOGFILE=${HOME}/.procmail.log
LOG="--- Logging ${LOGFILE} for ${LOGNAME}, "

:0fw
| /usr/bin/spamassassin

:0:
| cat >> /dev/null

:0 :${HOME}/.locks/ale$LOCKTEXT
* ^To.*ale at ale.org
| cat >> ${HOME}/mail/ale

Note the general configuration at the top, some stuff for handling spam
(including the spamassasin tie-in), and my recipe for putting everything
from the ALE mailing list in its own folder. I use procmail for all this
sort of work, not individual mail readers (makes it much easier to use
pine/thunderbird/squirellmail depending on situation, physical location,
and net connection.

Mike

Greg Freemyer wrote:

> With imap where do I setup overall rules for moving e-mail into
> sub-folders?
>
> ie. Is there a common place I can filter and not have to have rules in
> various imap clients?
>
> I have the below working:
>
> fetchmail --> postfix --> Maildir --> Courier Imap
>       --> evolution
>       --> squirrelmail
>
> Over the last year or so I have created lots of filter rules in evolution
> (20 or 30 I guess).  They are still working (I think, I'm remote right
> now.)
>
> But if I access my e-mail via squirrelmail, all of my new e-mail is
> sitting in the INBOX.  Normally I only have a few unfiltered e-mails in
> there.
>
> Thanks
> Greg
>

>>On Mon, 2004-02-16 at 19:39, John Wells wrote:

> desktops sendmail.

> maintaining its own.

>>>client.
>>>Greg,
>>>Why not set up SquirrelMail (www.squirrelmail.org) running with
>
> Apache/SSL?  Has worked quite well for me for a few years now...

Mike Murphy
781 Inman Mews Drive Atlanta GA 30307
Landline: 404-653-1070
Mobile: 404-545-6234