[ale] Laptop questions before purchase.

Joe Story joestory at bellsouth.net
Tue Feb 24 07:48:30 EST 2004

I've come across a Gateway DS 450 x.  Here are some of the specs.

Intel? PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B(installed in Mini PCI slot)?
Intel 82540EM ethernet adaptor
Combo DVD/CDRW - 8X/24X/12X/24X
Pentium M processor
ATI M7?

And this is all the information I can get from gateway.com using the
serial number from the invoice I was shown.  The laptop is still boxed
and there is a 3yr onsite/labor/parts tick-tocking away.

Anyone here experienced with similiar hardware in Linux?  I'm mostly
concerned that the wireless card is not going to work well.  Does
driverloader from linuxant.com work well?  I see Intel supplies a
tarball for that gigabit adaptor, not much worry there.  For the curious
I would likely run Slackware 9.1.

Normally I wouldn't consider buying a 'PC' laptop but since this one is
boxed and I might be able to get it at half the Invoice Price(laptop was
won in a lawsuit by the current owner), I'm thinking about jumpin on
it.  I say 'PC' because I kinda favor the ibooks.  And the ibook would
be a larger chunk of change.

If I decide to bite the bullet and buy it, this will be my first laptop.
So, I'm a little new to these Mobile processors. Heat, power consumption
etc.  So, I greatly appreciate any input.

Thanks

Joe

Oh, and it comes with a deluxe carrying case. :-)