[ale] Fedora Core 1 up2date

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Sat Feb 21 09:20:25 EST 2004

On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 06:11:43AM -0500, Chris Ricker wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, Chris Fowler wrote:

> > I've got Fedore Core 1 installed and some stuff I can not up2date.  I
> > keep getting errors What could be causing my up2dates fail?

> Use a mirror. fedora.redhat.com is way overloaded, so you're getting
> incomplete downloads which are failing checksums so yum refuses to continue

	Oh, so up2date is defaulting to yum?  That's cool.  I didn't
realize that.

	Actually, that's strange...  'cause the little ball applet
(The RedHat Network Alert Notification Tool) would change to indicate
new updates available before I had a chance to download and update my
local repositories, which is what I had yum configured to access instead
of the default ones.  Is the applet using something else?  I just
assumed that the applet and up2date were in sync.

	Oh, I see now...  It comes down in the channel information when
you first run up2date that those channels are yum repositories.  I hadn't
run up2date with Fedora Core before (because it sucked so badly in
previous releases).  Learn something new.  Very cool.