[ale] MS Exchange replacements for Linux

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Thu Feb 19 09:38:21 EST 2004

We had a thread going earlier this week about replacing Exchange and couldn't
come up with many.  Coincidentally, todays issue Doc Searls' Suitwatch was
all about that.  His basic point is that Exchange is very hard to replace.

At the end he wrote:

   In other words, Exchange is a competent product. There are lots of
   increasingly competent competitors that work with Linux -- Bynari,
   Kroupware, Oracle Collaboration Suite, SuSE OpenExchange,
   PHPGroupWare, Easygate Workgroup, Stalker CommuniGate, ExchangeIT!,
   Samsung Contact (leveraging HP's abandoned OpenMail), Bill Workgroup
   Server (and exchange4linux), SquirrelMail -- but I don't see a huge
   market rush toward any of these solutions, even when the problem being
   solved is just getting off Exchange (which many customers want to do,
   in spite of its virtues). At least not yet. (And if I'm missing
   something, please tell me.)