[ale] syncing a palm via serial/usb device?

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Wed Feb 18 16:24:47 EST 2004

On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 03:46:11PM -0500, Geoffrey wrote:
> Robert L. Harris wrote:
>
> >Anything in your /var/log/messages or dmesg?
>
> Not much of any use, other then looking like all should work:
>
> hub.c: new USB device 00:1d.1-1, assigned address 2
> usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x50d/0x109) is not claimed by any active
> driver.
> usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for Magic Control Technology
> USB-RS232
> usbserial.c: Magic Control Technology USB-RS232 converter detected
> usbserial.c: Magic Control Technology USB-RS232 converter now attached
> to ttyUSB0 (or usb/tts/0 for devfs)
> mct_u232.c: Magic Control Technology USB-RS232 converter driver v1.1
> usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for Handspring Visor / Treo /
> Palm 4.0 / Cli? 4.x
> usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for Sony Cli? 3.5
> visor.c: USB HandSpring Visor, Palm m50x, Treo, Sony Cli? driver v1.7

Was there anything after this?  You should see something similar to the
following:

Feb 18 10:47:53 jasond kernel: visor.c: Handspring Visor / Treo / Palm
4.0 / Cli
é 4.x: Number of ports: 2
Feb 18 10:47:53 jasond kernel: visor.c: Handspring Visor / Treo / Palm
4.0 / Cli
é 4.x: port 1, is for Generic use and is bound to ttyUSB0
Feb 18 10:47:53 jasond kernel: visor.c: Handspring Visor / Treo / Palm
4.0 / Cli
é 4.x: port 2, is for HotSync use and is bound to ttyUSB1
Feb 18 10:47:53 jasond kernel: usbserial.c: Handspring Visor / Treo /
Palm 4.0 /
 Clié 4.x converter now attached to ttyUSB0 (or usb/tts/0 for devfs)
 Feb 18 10:47:53 jasond kernel: usbserial.c: Handspring Visor / Treo /
 Palm 4.0 /
  Clié 4.x converter now attached to ttyUSB1 (or usb/tts/1 for devfs)

Note that the palm uses 2 ports: one for HotSync and one for Generic
(whatever that means).  You want to use the one that's bound for HotSync
use.

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9