[ale] Any MySQL Experts around?

Thomas Wood thomaswood at mac.com
Sat Feb 14 22:28:23 EST 2004

Just to add my $0.02 to this argument, I know it's possible to do
something like this b/c it's done at my office.  Our two production
iPlanet 4 webservices running on Sun 280Rs generate nearly 4 gigabytes
of logs per day that we export the next day into an oracle db running
on a quad proc v880 (soon to be a 12 proc v1280--but that's another
story).  Not including the time it takes to move the files to the
staging env to gunzip and untar them it takes about 3 hours to import
the raw data.  Those numbers are pretty rough though and I don't know
how much data is dropped.  I can give more precise figures on monday
after I check some logs--if anybody's interested.  This process runs
concurrently with reports and other data imports so your mileage may
vary.  I'll see if I can get some eyeballs on the scripts that control
the import, but it may be wholly useless in this case since you want to
write directly to a db and not update after the fact.

hope that provides some comparison.

wood