[ale] Kernel comparison: Web serving on 2.4 and 2.6

Stephan Uphoff ups at tree.com
Sat Feb 14 13:02:08 EST 2004

Chris Fowler wrote:
> I've experienced something weird on 2.6.
>
> We use a loopback device to create a filesystem for our embedded
> software.  When I'm on 2.4 the image is created fine with ample free
> space on the ext2 fs.  When I use 2.6 as the script is doing cp -dpvR
> ../template/* root/  it seems to run out of space on the image.  The cp
> command can never finished.  This problem has killed my plans on moving
> to 2.6 anytime soon.

Are you using the same userland tools on 2.4 and 2.6 ?
Are you creating the loopback device on the same filesystem?
Take a look at the different filesystem layouts created by running
newfs on 2.4 and 2.6.
You probably have to specify some sane parameters for newfs if the
defaults no longer work for you.

	Stephan