[ale] Looking for software to keep processes running.

Joe Knapka jknapka at kneuro.net
Thu Feb 5 12:09:28 EST 2004

Jim Lynch <jwl at sgi.com> writes:

> I've got a number of scripts that start processes that run in user
> space that I'd like to keep running.  (RH 7.2).  Is there a utility
> that would help me?  I know I can write a script that would do a ps
> periodically and make sure the process was still running and if not
> start it up, but I was just curious if there was a utility that would
> automate that process. I googled for something, but didn't see
> anything promising, except a reference to Big Brother.

Initd sounds like exactly what you need, except you'd
like to run it as a regular user process. The stock
init refuses to run as a non-root user, and doubtless
has a number of "I am root" assumptions coded in,
but it seems like it shouldn't be too hard to change
it to run as a user process that manages other user
processes. I'm a bit surprised it hasn't been done
already, but various Google attempts such as "userspace
init" turned up nothing.

If you don't mind your scripts starting at boot time,
the standard init might be enough for you.

Cheers,

-- Joe Knapka

--
I'm gonna do everything / silver and gold / but I got to
hurry up before I grow to old. -- Joe Strummer, 1952 -- 2002