[ale] Need an off the shelf linux recommendation

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Wed Feb 4 16:18:47 EST 2004

On Wed, 2004-02-04 at 16:03, Dow Hurst wrote:
<snip>
> 2x160Gb data drives
<snip>
> Set up the Linux install for SMB, PDC, and DHCP for the
> network services.  Setup 0+1 raid on the data drives.
<snip>
I think you'll be needing four drives for that.  In the interest of
speed, put your root drive(s) and two of the big drives on the mobo's
IDE controllers and then put the other two big drives on a PCI-bus dual
IDE card, one per controller.  Run without swap, and only use the
smaller drives for booting

- Jeff