[ale] eMachines AMD64 notebook

matty91 at bellsouth.net matty91 at bellsouth.net
Sun Feb 1 23:41:37 EST 2004

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004, Jeff Hubbs wrote:

> I've been looking at this as well, and here is my reasoning - I'd
> appreciate some calibration from you knowledgeable folk.
>
> I need to get a laptop pretty soon for doing consulting work.  I can
> expect to be doing OpenOffice and Evolution primarily right off the
> bat.  However, I need this laptop to also get me through a Master's
> program, and since I will be probably doing GIS-related work, it is
> quite possible that I may be doing a LOT of compiling and also, I may
> have to slog around a >2GB file every once in a while.  This is what
> pushes me into the 64-bit realm and with no small amount of speed to
> boot.

I am in the same boat as you, and decided to get an Apple powerbook. You
can run commercial and opensource applications, and have a complete  GNU
environment under the covers. Since several of my classes require access
and powerpoint, I needed a platform that would run these (I can use
virtual desktop 7.0 when it comes out to run access). Also, from chatting
with my friends, fink seems like a really cool framework for opensource
package management.