[ale] Publicly available secondary DNS servers

Alan Dobkin ALE at MaestroIT.com
Fri Dec 31 15:33:57 EST 2004

I don't have any experience with EveryDNS, but I have used The Public
DNS Service (Granite Canyon) in the past, and I can tell you that it
stinks.  It may be okay for hobby or test domains where you don't care
if it is down or you are unable to update your information.  There has
even been talk on their support newsgroup that their service is dead.

The only "free" service I can recommend is ZoneEdit.com.  They will give
you up to 5 zones, and then you can pay them for additional "credits" if
you need more than that.  If you're willing to pay a token amount, you
could try DynDNS.org, which offers secondary DNS for only $15 per year
(i.e. $1.25 per month) per zone, which helps fund the other free
services they offer.

Another option is to use (which may involve transferring your domain, if
necessary) a registrar that offers free DNS service with your domain
registration fee.

Alan