[ale] OT: H1B

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 31 01:12:28 EST 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-31 at 00:44 -0500, Bob Toxen wrote:
> So you're saying that anyone who disagrees with your point of view
> misunderstands or doesn't have full visibility of the situation?

No, not at all.  Now Bob, in person you seem to be much brigher than
this, so perhaps it's just your email client.  Factual data elsewhere is
never authenticated from agreeing or disagreeing with someone.  The
facts of those H1B cases have yet to be evaluated beyond a one-sided
opinion, in email no-less.  If that is "fact" enough for you, then I
have misjudged you over the years.

> So be it.  I'm one of those twelve as I trained my replacement who then
> was brought from Romania to the U.S. as an H1B.  Mine technically was not
> a violation of H1B regs w.r.t. firing me as I was a 1099 contractor but still
> I strongly suspect that he was not paid prevailing wages.

Hmmmm, so you are one of those 12 case or are you not?  You state that
you are one, and then the truth comes through as more is learned.

I guess the reality of this, and probably the other 11 cases, is that
people are just pissed that they got replaced by a (younger?) less
compensated worker.  It happens, especially after fast-rising tech
bubbles burst.

Here's something to mull over.... if a laid-off worker was worth what
they were paid, shouldn't they be able to go to another company and earn
close to the same?

-Jim P.