[ale] OT: H1B

Bob Toxen bob at verysecurelinux.com
Thu Dec 30 18:53:01 EST 2004

On Thu, Dec 30, 2004 at 10:37:18AM -0500, Yu, Jerry wrote:
> # Then, the job listing will include all of the skills.  This
> # illegal method to lock out U.S. workers is wide-spread and completely
> # unenforced.

> I believe it is an overstatement to say it is "completely unenforced", since
> back in the boom years, a lawyer actually recommended a friend's employer to
> revise requirements for her position to use more generic terms (proficiency
> with networking OSes and RDBMS ) instead of (proficiency with SCO
> openserver/Solaris/Novell/Caldera Linux/Windows NT combo and proficiency
> with Informix/sybase/Oracle/postgres), even if the job itself really
> involves all these technical components. The basis for the recommendation is
> that an application may actually get denied if the position looks like being
> tailored for "the one and the only" candidate.
You're entitled to your beliefs, of course.

Perhaps you missed my other posting where I pointed out that I personally
(i.e., in person face-to-face) with the Assistant U.S. Attorney for Northern
Georgia, which includes Atlanta.  HE is in charge of enforcing the H1B laws
and prosecuting violators.

HE said that he hand not even investigated a SINGLE CASE of violations in all
of Northern Georgia.  If that does not meet your definition of
"completely unenforced", kindly explain your definition.

Best regards,
Bob