[ale] OT: H1B: PLEASE DISREGARD EARLIER POSTS

Jonathan Rickman jrickman at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 08:13:18 EST 2004

Wait just a minute while I pick myself up off the floor...

> In the mid nineties, BofA started the 5% rule: fire the "bottom" 5% of
> the IT staff every year.

So you had 5 years of rumbling before you were fired?

> In 1999-2000 the bank started spinning off non-bank functions: Compaq
> took over desktop support, EDS took over networking & telephony.
> My division was spun off to a California company who specialized in payroll.
> We were told that if we got cut within 2 years we would get the bank
> years included in our severance.

Then 2 years of open discussions about being fired...along with clear
signs that it was for real.

> 18 months later they brought in H1B holders @ 30-35K/year as replacements.
> Again, my ignorance of the law prevented me from challenging their actions.

Then your replacements actually show up...

> I was very very lucky.
> I got 46 weeks severance.
> I collected unemployment for 14 weeks, then found comparable
> employment in the same town...

You get nearly 4 months pay and over 3 months unemployment while being
out of work for 14 weeks and then found a comparable job without
moving....deep breath...AND YOU'RE STILL PISSING AND MOANING ABOUT ALL
THIS?!!!

I've never met you Mr. Evans, but based on your initial contact with
this list earlier this year I came to the conclusion that you were not
a very likable fellow. Now I have in the past, as have we all, found
people to be quite different in person than they are on the world wide
disinformation cowpath. So, I was willing to give you the benefit of
the doubt, since it was election time...and all the Bush bashers were
worked into a total frenzy. I just figured you for one of those frothy
mouth political types. Now I have come to the conclusion I was wrong
in giving you that benefit, because you are clearly a very spoiled
person who sees his station in life as his divine right rather than a
blessing from the Almighty. You do realize that your paltry 46 week
severance was probably more money than at least 40% of world
population earns in a decade right? I'd guess that it was probably
more than some folks I know bring in a year. A couple who my wife and
I consider dear friends have a combined household income of less than
what I make in 6 months, yet they get along just fine and are quite
happy raising their 2 small children. They drive used cars (as do I)
and live in a modest home (as do we as well) and don't spend their
money without careful consideration (I'm working on that one) of
everything involved. They probably could have stretched your severance
out for at least a year...yet you complain. Pardon me while I go find
a violin. I need to play some sad music, just for you.

--
Jonathan "incredulous" Rickman