[ale] OT: H1B: PLEASE DISREGARD EARLIER POSTS

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 30 01:12:06 EST 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-29 at 23:09 -0500, Jerald Sheets wrote:
> Yeah, but when you buy a home and car, a 10% cut can be brutal.

Consider the recommendations, of learned financial planners, that tell
you to never take a car payment more than 20% of your *expected* monthly
income, nor a house payment more than 40% of your *expected* monthly
income.  Note: *expected* is what you are worth, not what you are paid.
At that pace a 10% cut in salary should mean less barbecues, not
brutality.

It means a more restrained lifestyle, however the choice is yours and no
one (other than maybe a friend or spouse) is forcing you down the road
to financial disaster.   I love to see the stories about the dual BMW
folks, in the $400K house, complaining about the H1B guy/gal "taking"
their admin/security/support/IT job.  As John Stossel says.. "Give me a
Break!"

-Jim P.