[ale] OT: H1B: PLEASE DISREGARD EARLIER POSTS

George Carless kafka at antichri.st
Wed Dec 29 19:21:26 EST 2004

On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 06:43:04PM -0500, Jonathan Rickman wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 17:30:25 -0500, Scott Castaline <hscast at charter.net> wrote:
> > I'll say.
> >  I've been working as a Pizza delivery, Security Officer, a cashier at
> > Wal-mart and a warehouse worker for the last 4.5 years. I've all but
> > given up hope of being a computer professional again.
>
> I hear stories like this all the time, yet when my company seeks new
> employees we are not exactly overwhelmed with qualified candidates.
> Now I'm not casting aspersions on any list members, so no need to get
> any feathers ruffled. Help me to understand.

*snip*

Hurrah--great email.  I'm an H1-B (soon to be a green card holder, if
all goes well) and, quite frankly, I do get a little tired of all of the
vague assertions that companies are exploiting H1-B workers as a source
of cheap labour.  My experience has been that getting the visa stuff
figured out is far from an easy process, and furthermore that many
companies are quite frankly faced with little alternative.  I'm an
arrogant scumbag who thinks quite highly of his own skills, mind you;
but I've seen so-called (web-) developers who've barely been able to
master a simple loop; I've seen graphic designers who don't understand
colour, professional writers who say things like "it was his and I's
idea", and so on and so forth.

Sometimes they just hire us because we're better than you are. *grin*

--George
George Carless ... kafka at antichri.st
Words are just dust in deserts of sound