[ale] OT: H1B

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 29 18:22:13 EST 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-29 at 17:05 -0500, Bob Toxen wrote:
> If a H1B will work for next to nothing, of course they'll get the job.

That is not a bad thing if they can do the job even partly as well as
the guy that commands considerably more.

> Besides, often (and I've witnessed it being done), an employer will ask
> the cheap H1B candidate to list all of his skills, regardless of whether
> or not they are needed to do the job.
>
> Then, the job listing will include all of the skills.  This illegal method
> to lock out U.S. workers is wide-spread and completely unenforced.

While I don't deny that this is a possibility, I do think that MOST
hiring agents (employees or otherwise) have more pressing requirements
(or will soon enough) than to just fill an open job position.

I have friends on both sides of the H1B issue.  All are highly talented
and all need some sort of job to stay ahead in life.  Am I willing to
say that I am more concerned for my friends that were born in the USA
than for those that weren't?  No.  No more than I would be concerned
about GT hiring a UGA graduate instead of a former student.

-Jim P.