[ale] Mandrake 10.1 Official & K3b

Sergio Chaves sergio at turbocorp.com
Tue Dec 28 05:50:31 EST 2004

 From K3b.org:

  "Do not use Kernel 2.6.8

A patch that was introduced into the kernel shortly before the 2.6.8
release makes K3b and also the dvd+rw-tools unusable on Linux (unless
run as root but that is not recommended). The very important GET
CONFIGURATION MMC command is rejected by the kernel for reasons I cannot
see and writing commands like MODE SELECT also fail (K3b cannot detect
CD writers without it) even when the device is opened O_RDWR. Until this
issue has been solved I strongly recommend to stick to kernel version
2.6.7.

Update: The kernel guys are currently fixing the problem so the next
kernel release should work again. :)

Update 2: The problem is NOT fixed in 2.6.8.1

Update 3: Be aware that kernel 2.6.8 also contains the memory leak which
makes it impossible to write audio cds, even as root."

I use mandrake 10.1 and upgraded to kernel 2.6.8.1-12mdk.
I also had to change the permissions on /dev/cdrom - /dev/dvd to let me
use it. originaly, only root had access to it.

My 2 cents.

--
  ?v?          Sergio Chaves            ?v?
 /(_)\       www.turbocorp.com         /(_)\