[ale] Question : Printer with lowest TCO for infrequent usage

Tejus Parikh tejus at vijedi.net
Mon Dec 27 18:57:02 EST 2004

You probably want to go for an entry-level laser.  The up-front cost is
higher, but you can normally print a few thousand pages per cartridge,
instead of a few hundred (which you get with an inkjet).

Plus, laser normally don't have those annoying "smart cartridges,"
normally work pretty well under linux, and tend to be more maintenance
free.

I use linux support as a litmus test; printers that don't support linux
tend to be more expensive to run than ones that do.  If linux support is
important, you should check out linuxprinting.org before buying
anything.

hope this helps,
tejus