Ubuntu Distro Discussions (Re: [ale] linux recommendations)

aaron aaron at pd.org
Fri Dec 24 03:43:31 EST 2004

Dear Ubuntu Linux:

I am an active member of a well recognized Linux user group in Atlanta,
Georgia, USA. Several weeks ago I discovered and, based on your site
information, recommended your Linux distro offerings in response to
discussions of Linux "accessibility" features on the group's mailing list
[archives and subscription available at <http://www.ale.org>].

Recently, on the same list, your distro was recommended by others as a good,
user friendly desktop solution for new Linux users [full email below]. The
"linux recommendations" thread renewed my curiosity, and I have downloaded
the current Ubuntu distro with plans of doing some test installations soon.

Unfortunately, the author of one of those recent recommendations also felt it
necessary to accompany his positive technical review with unwarranted,
politically motivated vilifications of your organization. In interests of
open discourse and fairness, I am calling these comments to your attention,
should you care to respond:

" The organization that sponsors Ubuntu is a pack of raging America
hating liberals.  If that doesn't put you off I would recommend it.  I
personally like my Linux ideology free. "

I'm afraid this kind of hate mongering, brown shirt language is tragically and
pathetically common to the fascist, neo-conservative, Pan-American movements
currently being suffered in our formerly respectable country. The formulaic
"liberal" bashing construct is  typical of the frequent, pre-packaged,
exclusively partisan rants issued through supporters of the international
terrorists who presently retain illegal control of our national government.
On behalf of the globally respectful majority of American patriots (in whole)
and the sane majority of Open Source community members in the Atlanta Linux
Enthusiast group (in specific), I would like to offer our sincere apologies.

While the slander is innexcusable on principle alone, a detailed review of
your site also failed to reveal any published comments or activities that
might remotely rationalize this unfounded attack. The sad likelyhood is that
the divisive, political harangue you suffered is an end product of the
elitist, radical right wing propaganda machine that has been poisoning our
national language and conscience through corporate financed media mills and
"think tanks" for nearly 40 years now. By design, the most compliant victims
of this incessant, insidious droning have become automated Pavlovian attack
dogs, launching partisan, dogmatic, and reactionary hate rhetoric assaults
when ever and where ever civic morality, civil liberty, respect for
community, pursuit of peace or humanitarian ideals are being prooven,
published or discussed.

We hope that you will forgive the unwarranted vilification of your admirable
Open Source endeavors from within a kindred community, and will also try to
understand the true source and motivation of such fascist political attacks.
Like AIDS victims, most of the radical minority of Americans who spread this
disease of nationalist arrogance are not even aware of their deadly illness.
While opinion polls indicate that some 80% of the informed global community
shares our majority disdain of an arrogant, totalitarian and imperialist
regime, we hope that you also share the common sense not to confuse evil
heads of state with the innocent peoples corrupted by them, forced to endure
them, or murdered because of them.

For myself, I admire your organization's philosophical foundations and feel
you have chosen a highly appropriate, definitive and representative banner
for a GNU Open Source Linux distribution. I hope your group and affiliates
will continue to openly acknowledge commitment to community as the integral
foundation of all worthwhile, uplifting and spiritually fulfilling human
endeavors.

peace
(Because the only respectable nation is a nation at peace.)
aaron