[ale] linux recommendations

James Sumners james at sumners.ath.cx
Thu Dec 23 22:01:42 EST 2004

If you read the welcome message at the boot prompt it tells you that you can
press F1 through F5(?) for additional options. That is where it tells you about
the other boot images on the CD. All you need to install Debian is the first CD;
the other six CDs are just extra software that you might use some day.

You really have to decide what the machine is to be used for before calling it
stale. Do you really need a web server to be running the latest version of X.org
and Gaim? I hope not. The testing branch is the next release. When testing is
not in freeze, new packages are added to it almost weekly. When a freeze is on
testing does not see many changes other than bug fixes. Unstable, though, sees
new packages almost daily unless testing is in freeze. When testing is in freeze
unstable does not get many new big packages (e.g. Mozilla Firefox) unless it
will not adversely affect testing. Yes, unstable can severly break at times but
for the most part it is very stable and very good for a bleeding edge desktop
system. Generally, if unstable breaks it is because of a major package that has
a problem and you can stop by #debian on freenode to get information about how
to fix it (almost always in the topic).

Debian is a different beast than the hand holding distros like SuSE or Red Hat.
I think that if you give it time and really learn how the Debian system works
you won't turn back. You do have to read though.