[ale] linux recommendations

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Dec 23 09:30:05 EST 2004

james at sumners.ath.cx wrote:
> Quoth http://www.ubuntulinux.org/ :
> "Ubuntu" is an ancient African word, meaning "humanity to others".
> Ubuntu also means "I am what I am because of who we all are". The Ubuntu
> Linux distribution brings the spirit of Ubuntu to the software world.
>
> What is offensive about that? Have you even bothered to read anything?
> I really don't know what to say.

I'm specifically referring to the previous reference to 'raging America
hating liberals.'  Right or wrong, if there is a strong association
between the name and that statement, then it may be found to be
offensive.  It is similar to the ongoing issues regarding the
confederacy and heritage verses hate.  Some people see the 'stars and
bars' as a symbol of hate, others see it as a symbol of the south.

Unfortunately, I'm not talking about the true origin of the word, but
how it is perceived.  To some, a rainbow is a sign of the promise by
God, to other's it a symbol of gay rights.

--
Until later, Geoffrey