[ale] linux recommendations

BruceG griffisb at bellsouth.net
Wed Dec 22 15:06:58 EST 2004

On Wednesday 22 December 2004 10:25, Barnes, Michael wrote:
> I am building a computer for my daughters and am considering installing a
> LINUX distro. Since, I will be away from the house (do to job), I need a
> distro that is easy to install and maintain. This distro will need to be
> able to work on a wireless network and access a printer that is being
> hosted by windows xp pro.
>
> Any suggestions would be helpful.
>
> Thanks
> Mike Barnes

My 8 year old runs SuSE 9.1 Pro, has no problems at all playing games (we
simply installed all games on the 9.1 CD set). My 15 year old son runs Debian
Testing based on a Knoppix harddisk install - with the apt sources (whatever
the file is called) pointing towards testing (and some er, ahem multi-media
players and codecs - my SuSE is also pointing to some players and codecs not
available in the boxed set). Both choices are fine.

Sometimes I prefer SuSE for the manuals and stability. Sometimes I prefer
Debian for the incredibly simple way of installing new games, programs and
doing upgrades.

I've also tried Mandrake and Red Hat (9.0). I really like SuSE and Debian for
what it's worth. I also liked Mandrake for the user news groups - but I
messed myself up too many times (it was my first Linux install)
Bruce